Wednesday 22 August 2007

UFO 100 day challenge update






Hi to everyone who is holding their breath to see if I can reduce my UFO pile! Well, I started last week, and I have finished 2 (nearly 3) UFOs. I am putting in pictures for you, as there is no point having a blog about a visual medium with nothing to see! What we really want is the pictures anyway!


The green one is a baby quilt, which I started in 1997. All it needed was the binding, which I had half cut. I finally searched out more of the green/black spotted fabric from my hoard and finished off one evening last week. Not bad. I nearly like it now. Sadly it has no destination for the timebeing.


The little Japanese bag was made from a kit I purchased at the spring quilt show in Edinburgh earlier this year, from the lovely people at Euro-Japan Links. The kimono silks are just lovely to work with. I finished this one on Sunday. Several evening events have come and gone since I started this in March!



Finally, I am working on finishing a Chinese wedding wallhanging for a couple who married nearly 2 years ago! Oh well, I usually promise wedding quilts for the second anniversay, which is cotton, although quite a bit of this quilt is red silk. The reason this one has taken so long, is that I made the quilt up (using a pattern from Kitty Pippen's book Quilting with Japanese Fabrics), but couldn't settle on a quilting pattern for the central octagons. As you can see I have found something appropriate, and couched gold cord on with red thread. The top pattern is a stylised chinese character for double happiness, a traditional lucky symbol for weddings. In fact the wedding in question had this particular style distributed in red foil around the tables, and that is where I got it from. I had to change the size though. The bottom symbol is an eternal (love) symbol, which I got from a book on symbols. It is often used in China. I have rounded the corners off to make it look good with the top pattern. I also had to resize it. Aren't photocopiers wonderful!




6 comments:

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Well done for getting cracking on reducing your UFOs I've been trying to do that for the last few years...but somehow I seem to take 2 steps forward and 1 step back! LOL

loulee said...

Well, thats almost 3 down then, waht a great start.
I love the bag and the wedding quilt, very nice.
Keep it up, you'll have all the WIPs done by Christmas.

sewkalico said...

Wow, you have been busy! Well done and I hope you keep the momentum going.

Andrea said...

A great start to your UFO challenge. They are all really nice - far too good to be abandoned. I'm sure that baby quilt will find an owner soon. Some-one always comes along.

Unknown said...

Well done you on the UFO front - I have many more than I care to admit to in my cupboards - occasionally I do get one out and do a little bit more

Unknown said...

OK I'm really loving this .. the baby quilt is now for a 10 year old - and it must be fantastic to be onto the UFOs. You've made me realise I am in denial .. so off the to the cupboard to look at all those "little bit left to go" stuff. The placemat binding ... the quilt binding ...the binding binding ... hmmmm ...take care and love your blog
Ali xx