Thursday 10 June 2010

English Patchwork UFOs

I thought I should confess to my main sin (after buying too much fabric). I have a big problem with starting projects and then not finishing them. This is the first post in a series that owns up to some of my collection of UFOs and WIPs (Works in Progress). I'm not sure how many I have - every time I do a count, I find more somewhere else later.

Also, how should we define the difference between a UFO and a WIP? UFOs are, in the patchwork and quilting world, Unfinished Objects, and WIPs are Works in Progress. We also have Orphan Blocks, which are left over from otherwise finished projects. But when does something become a UFO? I am assuming that the label WIP applies to a project which is planned - you know what you are making, but you haven't finished it! A UFO however, is a something which you start without a clear idea of what it is going to be/look like - but how much do you need to make before it can be called a UFO? Is a single block a UFO or a sample?

Anyway, today I have collated a few of my English Patchwork WIPs and UFOs:

At the top left we have a hexagonal piece that was inspired by the More Colours selection facility in Microsoft Office (yes, really - go look at it!). I don't know what this is going to be, or what it could be, so it is a UFO rather than a WIP. Either way, I really love it, and need to do something appropriate with it. On the right of that is another hexagonal piece. This one was originally going to be a small wallhanging, then a cushion, but I have enough cushions. So, I think this should be a bag - but what kind of bag! I'm thinking tote, but I will have to see what other fabrics I have that complement the panel, and then we will see. So, as I know what kind of object this is going to be, it is a WIP! Bottom left is just pastel/kid print hexagons tacked over papers. Originally I was thinking of making something similar to the panel that is now going to be a bag, but I'm not so sure any more. What will these be useful for? Finally, on the right, there is an ambitious set of blocks at various stages, for a full size quilt. This one was definitely to use up fabrics and scraps. The pink kite shapes, as the stem of the posy, come from a man's shirt that was dyed pink and purchased from Flip in the 1980s. The background fabric came from a sale find, and the florals are all Liberty or Liberty-style cotton lawns. I'm not at all sure I like this, it isn't my usual style at all, but I felt I should explore some of the old-style classics. Should I add sashing or not?

More to follow another time. Meanwhile, happy sewing everyone!

5 comments:

Scottish Nature Boy said...

Oh, so misleading! I thought this was going to be some Fortean Times-inspired quilting! Still, I am better informed now and they ARE pretty, even if UFO...

sewkalico said...

I'm not sure those hexagons that are tacked over papers qualify as a UFO as I have lots of those sorts of projects and I happily label them 'experiments' or 'tests' :-)

I love the idea of a hexagon bag and so many colours will go with those hexs.

Paper-piecing is a lot of work and if you are making something that you don't feel you will find a use or home for perhaps you could just pass it on at your patchwork group (although once you see it finished you may be remorseful LOL)

I am happy to read your confessions and would never judge you nor would any other quilter I'm sure, so just try and do the things you enjoy (and hide the things you don't LOL)

katepang said...

Thanks for your comments! SNB I knew you would be confused, but it is my mission to broaden your horizons. Sewkalico, I know, just tacked over papers doesn't quite make it to UFO status, more in the category of charm squares maybe. I'm not actually a member of a patchwork group at the moment, but now I have FINISHED the PhD (passed the viva...) I will have much more time and mental space. However, may well offer some things on here, as my readership seems to have plummeted, and i need to make it worth people's while again! Happy sewing.

Lynda said...

Sometimes, projects need to be WIPs ar UFOs for a while for you to come back to them and see them in a new light! The bunches of flowers look great (not my colours eitehr, but lovely) and don't need sashing, I'd say.

katepang said...

UFOs and WIPs often benefit from some maturation time, as does my writing! I think the hexagon bag might get finished first, as that is the most advanced idea. Still not sure about the bouquets, but probably agree about no sashing.