Friday 18 June 2010

Applique Samples

I have a quilt in progress, that is nearly finished, but I would like to post a complete story about that one. So, in the meantime, here is the selection of applique samples that I have in my collection of UFOs.

What we have here is evidence that I am not overwhelmed with joy at my own applique skills. I love the look of applique, but when it comes to myself I prefer quicker results from rotary cutting and chain piecing. The sunbonnet sue was made from a kit that I got as a free gift with an internet fabric order. Even with something so simple I can't avoid tweaking - I added the heart and the zig zag border from other project leftovers. This is a fused Sunbonnet - I must confess that I generally do applique with fusible web!

I will also acknowledge SewKalico's observations that these are samples or tests rather than UFOs. I do have a proper applique UFO - which I shall look out and photograph for you all on another occasion.

The fused suns (and single moon) are adapted from a pattern in a Lynne Edwards book on using up scraps. I'm not sure what I am doing with them yet - so far, there is the making of three seperate quilts, given the different feel of the fabrics used. The one on point may well acquire some sashing.

The needle-turned examples are 'OK', but I must confess, that though I started the teddy bears for a cousinly baby quilt, I don't think this method is hard-wearing enough, so I don't know what to do about them, some of the fabrics are quite thin and/or pre-loved. The stars are much nicer (to my eyes!). These came from a pack of die cut yellow stars, of which I have many more, so I could use these altogether for a big quilt, or I could use them in batches with other blocks for a sampler effect. I could do with a few more red background fabrics if I am going to make a bigger quilt of lots of stars.

Not much time for sewing this week, just chain-pieced some 2.5x3.5 inch rectangles into a brick layout border for the latest baby quilt (of which more next week) - I had my PhD viva on Wednesday so I was preparing for that. Not too bad - a few corrections, but I was awarded my PhD, so I am now (at least informally) Dr Pangbourne. Huw had his second ever school concert, in which he played a prince puppet in the Lonely Goatherd song. He was very good, but rather serious looking! Tonight my beloved and I are getting dressed up in evening dress and going to a dinner dance. So, a lovely week.

4 comments:

sewkalico said...

I love the teddies! perhaps you can just blanket stitch around them to make them more hard-wearing?
Congrats on becoming Dr K or Dr P!!!

katepang said...

Blanket stitch would be wise on anything that I applique! I can't think of a single hand sewn applique project that I have finished. Hmmmm.

Tracey said...

Great projects you have on the go,

Take care

Annabelle said...

We all have some of these ufo's - some of mine run into decades! Love the blog.