Wednesday 4 July 2007

One step forward, two steps back

Well, two days into this experiment, and I have spent £6 on charity shop purchases for patchwork purposes, and bought 3 sewing magazines, despite having no shortage of published ideas for me to work from!

However, I have also made 2 new quilty/bloggy friends, Kate N and Karol Ann - I would like to add links to their blogs, but don't know if you can do that, or whether they want me to! Maybe someone can let me know.

In reducing my stash, I have a promise of a swap - not really a reduction, just a stir! In the general spirit of compacting though (which is apparently what not buying things is called), I have spent an enjoyable hour fusing together plastic bags (the rustly type) with an iron and craft paper as a surface and iron protector. I found the instructions on another craft list somewhere (craftster?), and they seem to work fairly well. I got clever and applique fused some flowers (ever the quilter...) cut from coloured bags.

My first effort is pretty ropey, but it has definite possibilities and would be good for making waterproof bags. The finished fabric is quite robust in feel, and should be stitchable. Photo to follow eventually! Everyone else in the house was completely underwhelmed by it though.

2 comments:

Kate North said...

Here I am again - you'll never be rid of me now, LOL. Anyway, you are welcome to link to me - if you can't work out how to do it on the blogger interface, email me and I'll walk you through it. Looking forward to photos of The Creation.

sewkalico said...

You are welcome to link to me too. Kate taught me how to link so she's the woman for that LOL

Never mind about the steps backwards, we all do it. Least you're trying and some times whether you are stashbusting or not there are some fabrics you have just got to have!!!

You sound busy and creative - enjoy it!