Monday 10 September 2007

One finished, one not sure!








Well, after a fortnight of very little sewing, and concentrating on work/family or family/work, depending on what day of the week it is, I did retreat to my sewing room (aka Stu's bedroom), and finished the baby quilt for my cousin's first born.
I am quite pleased with it, although I had to make a couple of fabric compromises in order to not to buy extra. however, overall, it is quite pleasing. The block arrangement came from Mary Hickey's Sweet and Simple Baby Quilts http://store.martingale-pub.com/catalog/index.cfm?fuseaction=product&theParentId=33&id=533. I changed the border to give it more oomph, as my fabric compromise reduced the contrast in the middle! The quilting is mostly in the ditch for the blocks, with some free quilted hearts on the triangles. The border is free quilted with stars, spirals and meanders.
I have also got a picture of the fully finished Chinese wallhanging:


Finally, I'm not sure whether I have finished this last one or not. The appliqued fish are foundation pieced and are my own invention. However, now that I have quilted and beaded the border, I think they look a little plain. The dark blue centre has been hand-sashiko quilted, but I think the fish need a little more something. What does everybody else think? Sorry it is sideways. On the right hand picture, the left is the top!



















7 comments:

sewkalico said...

Wow, wow, wow! They are all lovely - well done.

loulee said...

Maybe simply popping on a button or bead where the eyes would be? They look great though. Love the baby quilt.

Lynda said...

I think the fish are gorgeous. They are swimming along unconcerned about you and me. Maybe if they had eyes (or darker eyes if they already have them!) it would give them a little more emphasis?

katepang said...

Well, thanks for the suggestions on the fish - I think they do need eyes, and beads will do it I think, and that will tie them to the border beading (not literally!). Thanks very much Loulee and Lynda for the suggestions.

Sew Create It - Jane said...

seems i'm only going to say the same as everyone else..i think what's missing is eyes. I love the colours you've used.

Andrea said...

You have been busy ! They are all great - love the fish especially.

Unknown said...

Hi there Kate - I really love your work ... and I dolove the fish ... isn't one of the secrets (and I am yet to learn it myslef) is knowing when to stop??? The eyes ...yes that would be something you could add .. bit I don't think your quilt suffers form them being blind ... lol. I do love the colours, so I'm with most on that ... take care
Ali xx